Friday, May 24, 2013

Let's Get Rolling

Josh Hayes Laguna Seca 2009
After  a couple of abortive attempts to get into the websphere commerce engine, I realized I was too late to market with my 'Big Idea'. Then it occurred to me that there may be others out there that have gone through the very same trials and tribulations I've endured.

I thought this might be a useful forum for others to benefit from the experiences of others when it comes to using timing and scoring systems at motorsports events.

So here we go.

Back in 2004 I was doing volunteer work with the Westwood Motorcycle Racing Club. Problem was, there was a huge shortage of willing and capable people to do timing and scoring of race events. That left the club's President in a major bind.  If you are racing, you want to know who came first, second, third, etc., etc.. So, since I was the de facto club geek, he wanted me to find a solution. Another member had already contacted one vendor for pricing on a system so he just handed his file over to me to continue the research.

I began a short and sweet Internet search for entry level (i.e. cheap) and advanced (i.e. not so cheap) timing and scoring systems.  I came up with a short list consisting of dBcom and AMB. dBcom had already provided a system quote that I had in the file I received and I was able to piece together a reasonable facsimile of a cost to acquire an AMB system.

So begins the journey. I'll go through a detailed analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of the AMB and dBcom systems next.

No comments:

Post a Comment