Friday, May 25, 2018

Orbits 5.x Tech Note

The Epiphany

While I was mucking around with my new copy of Orbits 5 that came with the X2 system, I stumbled across a neat new feature in Orbits Remote: App Feed.

App Feed allows you to broadcast live timing to your local network (wired or Wi-fi) for users with the Speedhive app from MyLaps. My initial reaction was I would need another computer to run yet another instance of Orbits Remote to activate the App Feed,

That's fine. You can do that. But I have a cheaper way to do it.

I'm running 2 computers; one is dedicated to timing only (Timing-1), the other is for Administrative activities related to Timing and Scoring (Timing-2). That's where Orbits Remote resides. Timing-2 is also a backup computer in case Timing-1 blows up.

The magic phrase is Virtual Machines.

So the trick is to run Windows 10 Pro on Timing-2. Enable Hyper-V to allow you to create Virtual Machines. I've embedded a hyperlink above to take you to the Micro$oft web site for that topic. You should probably have 12-16GB of RAM in Timing-2 to run VM's, but RAM is cheap.  There are pre-requisites mentioned there that you will have to research.

In a nut shell:
  1. Windows 10 Pro (or Enterprise or Education)
  2. 64-bit Processor with Second Level Address Translation (SLAT).
  3. CPU support for VM Monitor Mode Extension (VT-c on Intel CPU's).
  4. Minimum of 4 GB memory (not even close to enough IMHO)
  5. Enable Hyper-V
  6. Create a VM with Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10
  7. Install Orbits Remote
  8. Run the App Feed in Orbits Remote.
I know all this is pretty high up on the Geek Scale, but it is possible for those that want to give it a go.

If anyone tries this, let me know how it works out.

2 comments:

  1. good afternoon,

    I work in motocross racing and use the Mylaps X2 system.
    I would like to send the results in real time on my website www.mancini.esp.br
    However, Mylaps charges a very expensive price to provide this resource ($ 695 per year).
    I am looking for software that does this .... capture the results and upload to my website.
    Here in the Amazon we have very few runs (6 months of the year there is rain), so I have no way to pay Mylaps' annual fee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a look at Race Hero and Race-Monitor.

    Race Monitor will provide you a flash-based live timing solution for your web site. They provide you a script block and you simply paste it into your website. It will automatically render Flash based live timing and scoring for your fans to use.

    Race Hero provides a very similar solution. They give you a code snippet to plug into your web site and your are done.

    Both Race Monitor and Race Hero are free, though they do offer expanded services for a fee.

    Let me know how it works out.

    ReplyDelete